Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Working with Clay: Throwing Ceramics

Using a wheel to create a Ceramics is fun but challenging. I also find it challenging to teach by video or picture.

For more one –on-one help look into taking a class at a local Community College or Ceramics Studio. 

One thing I’ve found is it’s like riding a bike. I wasn’t able to use a wheel for throwing for years and I found I still knew how. 


 
First make sure you prepare your clay by wedging it! See my blog on Wedging.

Then throw it down on to the middle of the wheel head.
Start out with a small size – not much bigger than a softball would be a good size to start with.

Take my Advice: Always stabilize your arms by resting them on your legs, side, or a drip pan. 




After adding water I always start by pressing down on the ball to secure it to the wheel head. Then I press in on the sides and bring it up and then press down again.






First I press my hands together, stabilizing my arms on my legs. Then I gradually shift my right hand to the top and press down again. I continue doing this until it is centered.

Once it’s centered you can begin to open up the clay and then pull up the sides.

Take my Advice: Don’t get discouraged if you can’t center a ball of clay your first try. You may want to have several balls wedged and ready so you can practice. It can take many hours before you feel you have mastered centering your clay and you can’t continue to make a pot if it’s not centered.

Research the Web!


Look to www.youtube.com for many great demonstrations!

 There are many good videos on YouTube demonstrating how to throw a pot on a wheel. This guy is really good at it.

Everyone does it a little different but they all have good tips.

I found throwing pottery is like riding a bike – once you have it!


 
This is another good Video about centering the clay.
Before you can start to make anything you first have to learn to center the clay.


 
There are Videos you can watch on every stage and type of throwing. These are great resources, however notice how everyone does it a little different.



If you are interested in learning how to throw pottery using a Ceramic wheel it would be a good idea to look into taking a class at your local Community College or Ceramics Studio. You will have the use of the Studio, Equipment and supplies and one-on-one help along with other beginners. Working with clay has been therapeutic and very satisfying for me and I hope you find it the same.

Have fun Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment