Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Working with Clay: Firing!








There are many different types of firing you can use for your Ceramic pieces. The most common used in College or University Ceramics Studios are Low Fire Earthenware and High Fire Stoneware. I will explain these two types and show some others.

This is not meant as a lesson – please get expert help with firing!

In most studios there are Electric Kilns


These are used to Low-fire earthenware or Bisque fire Stoneware. Bisque firing is done first and then glazes are added and the pieces are High Fired – usually using a gas kiln.



Kilns come in many sizes.

Electric kilns can be used for High Firing but most studios specifically use them as a Low Firing kiln.

Some other types of firing you may have heard of are Raku, Saggar, Open Pit, Wood Burning Kilns, etc. etc.


 
I was lucky when I attended a University working on my Bachelors degree I had the Pottery Studio all to myself the last year. I mixed my own clay and glazes and did my own firing. 

You may find you like a particular firing method like Raku and eventually purchase your own kiln. Or you may become more involved and purchase your own wheel and Electric kiln but get the experience first by taking a class where you can use their equipment and learn from others expertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment